Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Colors of Thailand

I realize it’s been a while since my last post. I’m still hanging out in Khaowong, waiting to pick up my last paycheck, or more like wad of cash, before heading to Bangkok, a leaping off point for other travel destinations. (A trip to Hanoi, Vietnam is currently in the works.) Until then, I thought I’d enlighten my blog readers with a bit of Thai culture.

Lesson #1: the colors of the week. In Thailand, each day corresponds with a different color. This has something to do with an ancient Hindu tradition, predating the predominate Buddhist faith in Thailand, and is related to the gods of the planets in ancient Indian astrology. The colors are as follows: Monday - yellow; Tuesday - pink; Wednesday - green; Thursday - orange; Friday - blue; Saturday - purple; Sunday - red

Wearing the appropriate color each day of the week is said to be auspicious. I’ve noticed that a lot of people only observe a select few days of the week, particularly yellow Monday because the king was born on a Monday. Blue Fridays are popular, too, because that’s the queen’s day of birth. I’ve learned it’s extra lucky to observe one’s own birthday color. I was born on a Monday so I guess the king and I have something in common! Too bad I look awful in yellow.

Not everyone observes the colors of the week. When I’m in Bangkok, it’s not unusual to see hordes of yellow or purple (the princess’ color) polos crowding the subway. In Khaowong, or maybe rural areas in general (I’m not sure), wearing the appropriate color seems to be less common. Nevertheless, I recommend that anyone visiting Thailand bring or buy a yellow polo for Mondays. You’ll gain an extra ounce of respect from the locals and perhaps bargain more successfully at the market because you’re not dressed like every other tourist!

No comments: